I like making lists. Really I do. Usually, I also like crossing things off said lists. Except that sometimes, like this time, I forget about the lists, for oh, say 7 months. Do you see where I’m going with this?
Back in March, I made a list of things to do in 2010. I started making the list in January, it just took a while to make it official. My 2009 list had been a huge success, complete with piercings, tattoos, trips to random cities and many, many great concerts. I was pretty happy with my list for 2010 and thought all in all, it was totally do-able.
Fast forward to last week. When I remembered said list. I looked up the Facebook note I had posted it in and read it with great trepidation, hoping that maybe by chance I had accidentally done some of the things that I had set out to do this year. No surprise, not a whole lot of luck on that one.
The good news though is that 2010 isn’t over yet! I’ve got a month and some change to knock out as many of these things as I can. Since I’m practically unemployed, it’s not like I don’t have the time and luckily most of them don’t involve money. Personally, I need to feel like I’ve accomplished something this year (besides quitting two jobs), so here’s to making December one hell of a month!
I did have some successes prior to forgetting about the list. Some items just aren’t doable in a month. My modifications and/or accomplishments are noted in italics.
1. Finish reading Ulysses. (I love me some James Joyce, so really why is it so freaking hard for me to finish this book?) Only 10 more chapters to go! Granted, that’s over 500 pages of very tiny print, but I’ve read more in a weekend.
2. Take someone to a concert with me once a month. (A little variation on last years goal. Although I wound up buying lots of extra tickets anyway since that was the only way I could get people to come to some of the shows with me.) Did this, but not every month. I’ve got an idea for how to make this one work though.
3. Have a piece of my writing published. Does this blog count?
4. Do something fun with my brother. ( As far as I can recall, we have never done anything social or fun together in a non-family gathering atmosphere. And since he’s my friend on FB now and will most likely read this, it just may happen this year.) Still doable.
5. Get down on paper a business plan for the business of my dreams. Almost done!
6. Go somewhere I have never been before and do something there that I have never before done. Hmmm… I could use some help on how to accomplish this one. Sadly, I don’t think I’ve visited any new cities this year. That’s a first in itself.
7. Build a piece of furniture all by myself. Can do.
8. Make 10 new real friends this year and re-establish real relationships with 5 old ones. I’ll have to think about this one. I’ve definitely made new friends this year, plus patched up more than few old ones.
9. Design and sew a dress for myself. Can do.
10. FInd a cause that I believe in and start volunteering on a regular basis again. Can do, if we define regular as once or twice.
11. Read a book in Spanish. Ok, learning Spanish has been on my list for like five years now. I don’t know if I can do it by January, but I did buy a book in Spanish and in English, and I have a dictionary, so maybe?
12. Paint a portrait of my dog and cat. ( I am so weird.) Can do.
13. Try one new recipe every month. This one I may have actually unintentionally accomplished.
14. Be intentionally thankful and encouraging to others on a daily basis. Ha. I guess it’s not too late to start now.
15. Perform in front of a crowd. Not sure how, dancing again maybe? Haven’t done this one yet. Maybe is number 22 happens…
16. Learn how to play the violin I bought on ebay last year. Can you teach yourself how to do this in five weeks?
17. Perfect the bow pose in Bikram yoga. I think I actually did this one! I couldn’t do it now, and there is a chance my instructor was talking to someone else in the class named Elizabeth, but come on, were to 17 and I still haven’t marked one off yet.
18. Give God another year to break the silence on some things. This one, I’m glad to say has worked pretty well. Still no answers, but just giving him space has helped tremendously.
19. Give away more than what feels comfortable each month. Another one that I can check off!
20. Watch at least one classic film each month that I have never seen before. Movie marathon, anyone?
21. Plant a garden this spring. (and I sooooo want to say get some chickens and a goat too, but I just don’t know if my income and schedule will permit me to live out my livestock fantasies just yet.) And done! No chickens, no goats, but lots of tomatoes and herbs!
22. Organize a massive karaoke night with a few dozen of my friends, a la Lost in Translation. I have actually participated in something like this years ago, and it was a lot of fun. But I am so much cooler now, so it will be even more fun this time. 😉 I don’t know if I even have dozens of friends anymore, but it’s not too late to give the concept a try.
Alrighty, faithful readers. Over the next few weeks I will be busting it to knock every one of these items off my list. To prove it, I’ll be sharing each one with you as I do. Ideas and encouragement are welcomed!